Me

Me
My sexy hat and my daddy's laptop.
topbella

Sunday, July 25, 2010

How do you describe an experience like Girls Camp?

Now, sing the subject to the tune of "Maria" from The Sound of Music.

But seriously, how can someone describe it? We can tell you stories from camp (like the fire in the shovel or the 5 minute laughing attack Jessica had), but there's no way to really describe what Girls Camp really is. It's spiritual...and a little irreverant. It's hard work, but it's fun too. It's schedules and spontaneity. It's everything amazing all rolled into one!! And Big Meadow is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Oh, and of course I'm overly emotional and prob will be for the next few days. Camp does that to a person. It's just so hard to leave, especially after Friday night. I got sad when I saw the first sign of civilization. I almost cried when I saw Lake Isabella. I really want to go back and be with all the girls again.

I was in charge of First Years. I was also the leader of my Heart to Heart group. And those girls were so wonderful. Cheyenne was sweet and funny. Kim was quiet. Megan was helpful. Brynna was SUCH a sweetheart (she's the girl who tied the bowline in 8 seconds after I taught her (which made her one of the fastest bowline tiers)). And all the other girls were just....great. We talked about having the courage to talk about the gospel, expressing love to our family, and needing to read the scriptures for the lessons they teach and not just the stories (although you can start out just reading for the story).

Then there was Golden Hour. I think it was my favorite part. It used to be my least favorite, but I love it now. It's the spiritual part of the day. Talking about love and courage and scriptures out in the middle of nowhere with the trees and flowers all around is...amazing.

Then there was Certification. I taught knots. First I taught myself, and then I taught the first years (and Morgan). I can now tie a double half-hitch, a square knot (actually, I could do that before...), and a bowline. The bowline knot was the hardest, but I got it eventually (up, around, and back down).

Then we had Crafts and Self-Defense. Self-Defense was a one day thing. Mostly we talked and then we learned one move. In crafts we did chapsticks and little wood cut-out word thingys and flower pins and headbands and super cute bracelets made out of washers and ribbon. Crafts are fun.

The best part was (the food and) free time. It was so great just sitting around the camp and talking to all the YCLs that I hadn't gotten to know last year. And now I won't be able to see them next year... NOT THINKING ABOUT THAT!!! So, the other girls are great. Rachel was our Pyro and Shiloh has sexy hair. It's reddish-gold and down to her butt and it was all wavy right after she took it out of the braid. VERY pretty.

Friday night was testimony meeting with our wards. It was...pretty amazing... We all said something, even the two nonmembers who were there. Oh, wait...McKenna didn't say anything. Anyway, then Bishop ended with a prayer. An amazing prayer. We were all on our knees in a circle and it felt just like we were a family so I was crying over that. Then we all went out to the meadow. Which is a tradition (along with eating ice cream from the ice cream man...)

Spent Saturday saying goodbye. It was super sad and I cried a lot... Got home and had to scrub myself twice before I felt semi-clean.

KK, love you!

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

"It's spiritual...and a little irreverant."

Pretty much explains Girls Camp to a T. And your pictures made me sad (at least the ones of camp, not the ones of the drive home. I mean, wtp?). I miss Big Meadows. And Girls Camp. I can't wait to be able to go as a leader (it'll happen sometime, right?).

Daddy said...

I like the new pic better than the old one ;)

Post a Comment

About Me

Robyn AK
Hey, I'm Robyn! I'm a 19-year-old college student. I love to read, write, and sleep. I have several nieces and nephews whom I love with my whole heart and then some.
View my complete profile
 
Then, Now, When© DiseƱado por: Compartidisimo